Entry is closed
Paint Ontario 2017 was a huge success – many talented artists submitted paintings to the show and sale. More than 2,000 visitors were amazed and delighted with the beauty of the art that you, our artists, created.
Now it’s time to get ready for Paint Ontario 2018, and to start painting! Intake for jurying begins on February 12, 2018. Don’t miss it!
Opening Night for the next show is March 23 and the show will run 7 days a week up to April 14 – more days for visitors to enjoy your work! With more than $5,000 in prizes, this is the show to be ready for!
New this year
- A portrait category! – The Faces of Ontario Portrait Award. A juried Portrait style painting realistically depicts a person. You indicate your interest in this by selecting this when you enter a painting. Portraits can be a wonderful window to the human spirit. Displaying your talent in this category can be the first step to valuable commission work. This page tells you more about The Faces of Ontario Portrait Award.
- Workshops for Artists, by Artists! Fabulous workshops will be posted throughout the show – life drawing, portraits and more. Don’t miss this opportunity to learn from and connect with other artists! Workshop dates are coming soon – Click here for more information.
Paint Ontario is an opportunity to sell both your painting and yourself as an artist. Visitors to Paint Ontario come from all over South-Western Ontario. Many of our artists have gone on to do commission and referred work based on their Paint Ontario showings at the Lambton Heritage Museum.
Keep in mind
- Paintings that will sell at this show are paintings that appeal to many types of people. Add your own unique touch and flair, and at the same time think about submitting a piece that anyone would love. See this Facebook Album for examples of accepted work.
- Set a price that anyone can afford. Keeping your price reasonable will open you up to a larger group of buyers.
Two Juried Categories
- A juried competition for “representational” art seeks paintings that depict the diversity of the Ontario landscape, architecture, flora and fauna, waterscapes, and urbanscapes. This the default entry for the show.
- A juried Portrait style painting that realistically depicts a person. Select this when you enter a painting for digital image upload.
GENERAL CRITERIA FOR ACCEPTANCE
- All entries to the show are done online. Contact us if this is not possible. You may enter up to 3 pieces.
- Portrait style animal paintings without an Ontario setting or context will not be accepted.
- Media can be oil, watercolour, acrylic, pencil, charcoal, or mixed media; no sculpture, photography, computer art or textile art.
- Total outside dimensions, including frame, must be between 8”x10” and 36”x48”.
- All work must be original. No copies from other artists or from published material, including stock photography, no supervised work, no reproductions or prints, will be allowed. All painting and reference material, including photographs, must be the original work of the artist and may be requested by jurors.
- No repeat entries.
- All work must be for sale. New: The maximum price for a painting is $5,000. Your painting may not be accepted based on price point related to size or saleability.
- To be accepted, all work must be ready to hang.
This means framed, unless the work is designed to hang unframed. If the latter, the sides must be painted for a tailored, finished look. The piece must be properly wired.
- The Exhibit Label, which we email to you, must be securely attached to the back of the work, not draped around the wire.
Fees and Commissions
- The entry fee for entering online is $25 and includes the first work entered. The second and third pieces are $10 each. Fees are non-refundable. Not entering online is more expensive and will be provided when contacted.
- A sales commission of 35% is payable to Paint Ontario. Please price your work accordingly, including applicable taxes.
- The judges’ decisions will be final.
- Winners will be notified before the opening.
Update Your Artist’s Bio
Many visitors and potential purchasers at the show ask for information about artists. The Art Centre staff maintain a binder with this information, however it is up to each artist to maintain an updated biography. It can be as plain or fancy as you like but no hand written pages please. An 8.5″x11″ hard copy can be dropped off when you deliver your artwork or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please read the rest of this page and then continue on to the Entry Form for specific entry instructions.
Monday February 12th
Online entry begins.
Tuesday February 20th
Physical intake at the museum begins
Monday March 5th
Last day for online entry.
Wednesday March 7th (day corrected)
Last day for intake at the Museum.
Sunday March 11th
Last day for the Paint Ontario Team to contact artists about acceptance.
Friday March 16th
Last day to deliver artwork that was accepted in online with images jurying.
Friday March 23rd
OPENING 4 to 9 pm
Awards presentation at 7 pm.
Saturday March 24th
Exhibition and sale open to public
10 am to 5 pm daily.
Saturday April 14th
Last day of the exhibit
Sunday April 15th
Artwork can be picked up
Sunday April 29th
Last day to pick up art. Art with prepaid shipping will be sent this week.
Monday April 30th
Remaining cheques (not picked up with the Artwork) will be mailed
Dates for submission through Baillies
Last date for unaccepted Artwork for framing at Baillies, March 5
Unframed artwork accepted with online jurying, March 12
Framed artwork accepted with online jurying, March 15
Importance of the Entry Emails
We need all the information requested during online registration. You will receive 2 emails – the first is the Entry Form and the second the Exhibit Labels. You must still bring in a printed copy of the Entry Form. The correct Exhibit Label must be attached to your artwork.
Pieces not having the emailed Exhibit Label attached will not be accepted.
Entering this competition automatically constitutes your acceptance of all published rules.
Paint Ontario and Lambton Heritage Museum shall NOT be responsible for loss of or damage to any artwork, no matter what the cause.
If your work is not accepted or sold, it will be stored at the Museum. We cannot accommodate pick-ups on opening day, or on any day after the Museum closes for the day. See the sidebar for Museum hours.
Unless special arrangements have been made, any work remaining after April 29th becomes the property of the Grand Bend Art Centre.